You can paint aluminum siding that has a chalky residue, faded, stained, or just plain wrong color. This is how to prepare your surface and select the paint.
You can find this page
Can You Paint Aluminum Siding?
Ever wonder if aluminum siding can be painted? It is important to clean aluminum siding and use 100% acrylic latex paint. To ensure it is suitable for metal siding, check the label. Good paint will cost more.
It is best to pressure wash siding. You can also wash the siding with TSP (trisodiumphosphate) or another similar product, and then rinse it off thoroughly. Metal is a great heat absorber so avoid painting it while it’s in direct sunlight.
To paint aluminum siding, you’ll need the following tools
You’ll save time, frustration and money by having all the tools you need for your DIY project in one place.
- Garden hose/pressure washer
- Power sander
- 80 grit Sandpaper
- 220 grit sandpaper
- Paint tray
- Paint roller brush
- Power washer
An oil-based primer is required, as well as an acrylic latex exterior paint.
How to paint aluminum siding
- You can prepare the siding for painting by using a pressure washer, garden hose, or hand scrubber.
- Use a paint scraper to remove any residue or peeling paint.
- Sand the siding with 80-grit sandpaper, then with 220-grit.
- Use a paint roller to apply primer, moving from left-to-right across the siding. After the primer has dried, which can take up to four hours, apply a second coat by following the same process.
- Use a brush to apply exterior paint. Paint in the same direction you painted your siding.
- After your first coat is dry, apply a second coat to cover any gaps or flaws in the first coat.
- After your final coat is dry, inspect your work.
Painting Aluminum Siding FAQs
How long can paint last on aluminum siding?
Aluminum siding paint lasts between 5 and 10 years, and is very easy to paint.
What is the cost of aluminum siding paint?
A gallon of paint covers 250-400 square feet of siding. However, you will need to determine how many coats you need in order to calculate how many gallons you will need.
What is the best aluminum siding paint?
As we have already mentioned, 100% acrylic latex paint can be used to paint aluminum siding.
Did you miss our previous article…